Coaching Skills for Healthcare
Why does coaching work so well in helping healthcare organizations address and overcome the challenges being faced in today’s environment?
Healthcare organizations and their leaders are being challenged like never before. As a result, they are suffering from a host of issues that are impacting everything from employee satisfaction and turnover to the bottom line. In the face of these challenges, many are turning to coaching for help and it is catching on.
How coaching is transforming healthcare organizations
Why does coaching work so well in helping healthcare organizations address and overcome the challenges being faced in today’s environment? Here are three powerful reasons;
- Results. Healthcare organizations that have implemented a coaching culture are seeing results in improved employee engagement, communication effectiveness, and improvements to the bottom line. The results of our work in healthcare have been so transformational we were invited to present at the Institute of Coaching, Harvard Medical School & McLean Hospital.
- The new work environment requires new leadership skills. There has been a tremendous shift from routine, repetitive measurable work, to work that involves critical thinking, analysis, and creativity. The old carrot and stick approach to leadership no longer works and can even have devastating results in today's organization. Coaching brings about a shift in perspective and gives leaders new tools that are solutions based and better suited to today’s work and work environment.
- Adaptability and sustainability. The new work environment requires a way to lead that will produce positive and sustainable results; a leadership approach that is continuously adaptable to internal and external change. Coaching is more than a skill, it is a new way of thinking and a new way to approach leadership. This new coach approach to leadership can be integrated throughout the organization and sustained for long-lasting positive change.
Leaders in Coaching. Specialists in Healthcare.
Coaching Out of the Box® is a leader in teaching individuals and organizations to leverage the incredible power of coaching. To date, our flagship 5.5.5 Coaching Skills Training Program™ has been delivered to over 33,000 people in 38 countries. While we work in all industries, we have a specialization in healthcare. Over 7,000 healthcare leaders, managers, clinicians, employees, and teams have learned our easily adoptable 5.5.5 Coaching Skills Training Program™.
When Covenant Health was looking to implement a coach training program, the overarching goal was to ensure we were working toward creating a coaching culture within the organization. Coaching out of the Box was chosen as the program used to facilitate the development of a coaching culture as it is a proven, evidence-based program providing practical learning offerings that result in tangible outcomes for the learner. We wanted participants to be able to experience coaching firsthand and discover for themselves the impact it could have in their lives both personally and professionally.
Since implementing the program, we have noted our leaders are much more likely to ask questions rather than tell when a problem presents itself. Leaders listen more deeply and ask better questions. That learning translates in the way we care for each other as employees, but also in the way we care for our patients, residents and families.
– Sinive Seely
Benefits Beyond the Classroom
Many organizations offer coaching courses, but you get a lot more when you learn from Coaching Out of the Box®. Here is what you can expect.
- Top-notch education and training. You get world-class instruction from expert coaches with experience in both coaching and teaching. They deliver the course content expertly but also provide a wide perspective of real-world best practices, tips, and techniques. Their experience plus the interaction with other participants adds significantly to your learning experience.
- Convenient virtual classrooms. Our convenient virtual classrooms feature cutting-edge technology to create an in-person, interactive classroom experience while you participate remotely.
- Training solutions for both individuals and organizations.
- Multiple training formats. We partner with our corporate clients to offer training in several formats to meet the needs of each organization. Choose from on-site, virtual, or blended formats. Utilize our expert trainers or work with us to develop your internal training capacity.
- In addition to our courses, we offer many different resources to support you in your coaching practice and as you advance your coaching skills. This includes free webinars, coaching videos, coaching guides, and more. Just go to Coaching Resources to view our complete resource offering.
Learn more about our work in healthcare
Results presented to Institute of Coaching, Harvard Medical School & McLean Hospital.
The Coaching Out of the Box® Coach Approach to Leadership Program was introduced into a healthcare system with over 150,000 employees. Over 4,000 leaders participated in the program. The results were assessed with pre/post surveys and focus groups and then analyzed by an objective outside consultant. The top 7 results achieved were;
- Improved Listening
- Improved Communication
- Improved Ability to Give Feedback
- Improved Conflict Resolution
- Positively Impacted Relationships
- Improvement in Team Dynamics & Team Communication
- Increased Ability to Engage Staff in Conversations that are Solutions-Focused and Promote Accountability
Download one of our coaching guides
Coaching Case Study: Using Coaching to Transform Individuals, Teams, and Organizations
Determining the Impact of a Coaching Skills Development Program in the Healthcare Setting
Coaching Out of the Box® is ready to help you and your healthcare organization. Contact us today to learn how to get started!