Why this Course Matters
This course will provide you with two very critical components needed for an ACC accreditation.
- Two Observed Coaching Sessions with feedback from an ICF Credentialed Coach
- SEVEN hours of Group Mentoring Coaching
Your opportunity is to be willing to engage in live coaching and be open to expand your style and techniques.
Features of the Practicum
- Observed coaching with live facilitator feedback (twice)
- Self-assess your coaching exchange (twice)
- Observe others coaching live (eight)
- Peer coaching between weeks (four)
- Record your own coaching and self-assess (once)
- Listen to pre-recorded to observe competencies (twice)
- Practice the advanced skill of Requesting
- Overview of ICF Core Competencies
Tips About Giving Feedback
- Our Job: Focus on how the coach utilizes the coaching competencies and elements of the 5/5/5 Model.
- Our Response: Provides evidence of behaviour that supports our observation. How you heard/saw the competency/element be displayed (or not displayed).
- Our Gift: Is to remind the coach what they did well, so they may repeat it in the future.
- Our Way: How you would have coached, what you would have said or approached this exchange is good insight for you. Not relevant to this coach as feedback.
- Our Delivery: It is important the feedback is delivered in a way that supports the coach's growth and development by building upon the strengths of their existing skills.
Each Week is Different
Each week you will be assigned:
- A combination of roles: Coach / Client / Observer / Time keeper / Learner.
- A Practice Partner.
- Fieldwork to get you ready for the next class. We will assume you have done it.
- We don’t perform coaching we evolve our coaching.
- This is your learning lab.
You Will be a Real Client
Each week you could need a robust topic to be coached on:
- Robust, Real, Meaningful, Vulnerable. Each session lasts up to 20 minutes.
- No harm in using a the same topic with a new coach to get new insights.
- Areas to get great coaching topics:
- Life: Your job, relationships, goals, difficulties, stress points, aspirations, clarity of thought …
- Skills from the 5/5/5: Listening, Questioning, Encouraging, Requesting, Action Planning
- Areas of Focus in your Coach Kit from Coaching Fundamentals
- Personal growth goals from Personal Groundwork for Coaches
- Integrating one of the ICF Competencies into your style
- How to practice or get real clients. Grow your practice
- Getting all the requirements to apply for ACC
- Whatever it is, do your coach a favour – Make it real for you.
Competency Observer Guide
A practical checklist that can be completed by the observer, the coachee and the coach.
- Checkboxes are elements that most likely can be observed in a short coaching exchange.
- Bullets are elements that may be observed in a session or more likely over a series of same client coaching exchanges.
Use this form to assess the recordings of your coaching.
The Student Coach Resources hub is a dedicated space tailored to empower aspiring coaches on their academic and professional journey.